The SCORE project is launching its 1st Climate Adaptation training school – a three-day event through which several activities will take place within the framework of the EU Green Week 2023!
- Day 1 | June 6, 2023, 12:00 – 13:30 (CEST) | Online lecture on Climate Adaptation
- Day 2 | June 7, 2023, 12:00 – 17:00 (CEST) | Online Minecraft workshop
- Day 3 | Several dates | Local activities in the Coastal City Living Labs
Online lecture on Climate Adaptation
Day 1 – June 6, 2023, 12:00 – 13:30 (CEST)
This online lecture will involve experts in approaches to climate adaptation, discussing nature-based solutions, ecosystem-based adaptation, citizen science, and smart cities:
- 12:00 – 12:30 (CEST) – Mitigating Risks and Enhancing Sustainability: SCORE’s Approach to Coastal Climate Resilience | SCORE Project Coordinator Salem Gharbia (Atlantic Technological University) – in English. The SCORE project aims to enhance the climate resilience of European coastal cities by integrating nature-based solutions, smart technologies, and living lab approaches. Coastal City Living Labs enable stakeholders to co-create solutions with scientists and researchers, while the integration of NBS and smart technologies provide a comprehensive and adaptive strategy to mitigate risks. SCORE’s approach benefits the environment, society, and economy by improving climate and erosion monitoring and projections, enhancing citizen engagement, facilitating knowledge sharing, and exploring different mitigation actions and risks. The urgency of taking action on sea-level rise and climate change is emphasized in the policy-brief presented in COP27, highlighting the risks associated with sea-level rise. With a triple-win approach, SCORE offers a promising solution to climate-proofing coastal cities.
- 12:30 – 13:30 (CEST) – Parallel talks by SCORE experts on approaches to climate adaptation. Presentations will be on different topics (including nature-based solutions/ecosystem-based adaptation, citizen science, and smart cities). The attendees will be able to select their session based on location and language – Click on the links for more information about each session.
- English: Ecosystem-based approaches in Ireland | Ananya Tiwari, Tasneem Ahmed, Khurram Riaz (Atlantic Technological University), and Ítalo de Sena (University College Dublin)
- Italian: Smart Pebble Technology: an advanced solution for studying the erosion dynamics of beaches – Experimentation in Marina di Massa | Federico Binaglia (Pro.Ge.Com) and Alessandro Pozzebon (University of Padua)
- Polish: Nature-based solutions reducing Gdańsk’s vulnerability to extreme weather events | Jacek Barańczuk and Katarzyna Barańczuk (University of Gdańsk)
- Portuguese: Nature resilience: Harnessing ecosystems for the sustainability of the coastal city of Oeiras
- Slovenian: Utilizing Ecosystem-Based Approaches and Enhancing Urban Water Security for Climate Change Adaptation in the Mediterranean Town of Piran | Peter Kumer and Erik Kralj (Science and Research Centre Koper)
- Spanish: Climate change impact on coastal cities and the potential for the implementation of sensors | Mar Riera Spiegelhalder (ENT), Xabier Sesma Korta (Oarsoaldea Development Agency), Ignacio Toledo Sepulcre (Universidad de Alicante)
- Turkish: Ecosystem-based approaches and Nature-based solutions for the climate resilience of Samsun | Sema Arıman (Samsun University) and Neslihan Beden (Samsun University)
- Talks will also be available in Portuguese and Turkish. More information about each parallel talk is coming soon!
Online Minecraft Workshop
Day 2 – June 7, 2023, 12:00 – 17:00 (CEST)
Join the SCORE online Minecraft Workshop to design environmentally friendly ways to protect our homes and improve coastal cities for the future! Players will be tasked with working together to address the threats facing a coastal city using Ecosystem-based Approaches.
Ages 12+ but suitable for young and old alike! Minecraft instructions will be available in English, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Slovenian, Spanish, Basque, and Turkish. A face-to-face session in Italian will also be organised in Massa.
You can join the game anytime between 12:00 to 17:00. It lasts about 1 hour during which you will have to complete 5 different tasks, but do not hesitate to hang around in our Minecraft world once you have achieved all your tasks! And if you cannot play, you can still watch our livestream.
Local activities in our Coastal City Living Labs
Several local-level citizen engagement activities will be organized in the 10 SCORE Coastal City Living Labs (CCLL) as in-person, online, or hybrid events. The format and content will be decided by each CCLL depending on priorities and capacity. Some examples: DIY Sensor Workshop, Pilot SCORE Geodesign game, Geo-survey Mapathon, Local walks/guided tours, public debates, awareness-raising events, exhibitions, social club activities, etc.
- Dublin, Ireland | 8 June 2023, 10:00-13:00 | LexIcon Library: Interactive workshop with students to design the future of Dún Laoghaire through Minecraft.
- Sligo, Ireland | 8 June 2023, 15:00-17:30 | Workshop with citizens in Strand Hill beach on low-cost coastal sensors used to monitor coastal climate hazards. Register here.
- Gdańsk, Poland | From 29 May to 7 June 2023 | Online geo-survey mapathon, Creative classes for kindergartens and primary school children, and guided tour for intellectually disabled youth about climate change.
- Vilanova i la Geltrú, Spain | 5 June 2023, 12:00 | Awareness-raising event with students
- Benidorm, Spain | 8 June 2023, 9:30-13:00 | Presentation of the project and the work on ecosystem-based adaptation and sensors to local stakeholders, and an awareness-raising event about climate change.
- Oarsoaldea, Spain | 12 July 2023, 10:30 | Awareness-raising event on ecosystem-based adaptation in a face-to-face talks and workshop format.
- Piran, Slovenian | Dates to be confirmed | Focus group on sustainable mobility and a field tour of the most pressing locations identified for a more sustainable, safe and accessible mobility.
- Massa, Italy | 8 June, 12:00 | Information session on sensors that will be tested in the area with officials and administrators of the city of Massa. The meeting will be held in the town hall and will be introduced by the Head of the Environment Sector Simone Fialdini.
- Samsun, Turkey | Between 24 May and 9 June | Field survey with the farmers of the Kızılırmak Delta, awareness-raising event with kindergartens, and many joint events with stakeholders within the scope of World Environment Day.
- Oeiras, Portugal | 19-23 June 2023 (Date to be confirmed) | Exploring Climate Change: Interactive activity for primary school students.
Click on the links for more details about local activities in each city.
We’re looking forward to your participation!